Assistant Production Manager - Biology
Position: Assistant Production Manager - Biology
Compensation: Salaried position (overtime exempt)
Location: Howell, MI, USA
Candidate must have the required work/residence permits to work in the US.
SUMMARY: Under direction of the Production Manager, the Assistant Production Manager – Biology (APM-Bio) plans, organizes and manages the overall bumblebee rearing process, R&D, and related functions.
The APM-Bio directs the day-to-day activities of personnel engaged in raising and caring for bumblebees ensuring the hives are produced adhering to quality parameters, in the required quantities, and on time per forecasts. The APM - Bio determines R&D projects, interprets results, and translates into practice. He/she also assists in budgeting needs and is accountable for expenditures versus budget.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Process Management - Continuously evaluates the flow of people, and production inputs to optimize the production process. Ensures team members are recording appropriate production data and completing reports in a timely manner. Records data and prepares reports that indicate activity of phases such as performance and procedural modifications. Provides guidance to the development of a production process plan; including personnel requirements, material needs and facility needs. Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of work crew and quality of product. Monitors environmental settings in all phases and reports inconsistencies to Facility Manager for repair or adjustment and Quality Supervisor for event logging. Inspects physical condition of phases, work areas, and equipment.
- Personnel Management - Manages the training of employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Assists in hiring process, when necessary, by conducting interviews when needed. Interprets company policies to workers and enforces safety regulations in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Coordinates manpower requirements by increasing or decreasing personnel, maintaining time records and overtime to meet changing conditions. Prepares work schedules and sets deadlines to ensure completion of services.
- Research and Development – Can turn production challenges into clear hypotheses to be tested in a controlled environment. Can interpret results of R&D work and translate into practice. Guides the QA and QC processes to effectively increase production performance, product quality and the customer experience.
- Management of Goods - Ensures, with the Material and Logistics Manager, sufficient availability of goods and manages inventory. Procures goods when necessary, directly or through sub-ordinates and manages stock and create P.O.’s. Inspects quality of incoming goods in coordination with Quality Supervisor.
- Communication – Communicate effectively with others to obtain optimum production and utilization of personnel. Meet with personnel to schedule timelines, manage, and improve any quality deviations as provided by Quality Supervisor.
- Cost Management - Special attention is needed to the production process and its relation to cost management. The Assistant Production Manager – Biology will be an essential part in managing forecast versus sales and justify scrap as a function of efficiency and planning.
- Other - Involvement in product design, product process development, expansion and/ or re-structuring of building and machinery. Liaise with vendors, outside engineering people of products, facilities or machinery when necessary.
Required Skills / Experience:
- Education or Experience – Minimum of a Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university and five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. A degree in Biology, Entomology, Agricultural production, or related field is a plus. Experience with live products is a plus.
- Management Skills - Minimum of 5 years supervisory or management experience.
- Language Skills - Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. Excellent conflict resolution and communication skills.
- Mathematical Skills - Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Reasoning Ability - Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully, an individual should have proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office. The individual should be able to interpret accounting generated reports regarding cost accounting. The individual should be able to interpret and make tools in Microsoft Excel.
- Certificates, Licenses and Regulations - Knowledge of OSHA and MIOSHA regulations. Knowledge of or experience in ISO quality systems is a plus.
- Physical Demands - The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, climb, or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and heat.
- Work Environment - Employee will be exposed to live bees, which can sting, as well as pollen. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Other Qualifications - Ability to travel, including abroad, for training and / or Production Management gatherings.
- Analytical - Designs work flows and procedures.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Interpersonal Skills - Maintains confidentiality; keeps emotions under control.
- Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Delegation - Matches the responsibility to the person. Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
- Leadership - Inspires and motivates others to perform well; accepts feedback from others. Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates. Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; is available to staff and provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; improves processes, products and services.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make timely decisions. Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process. Follows organization policies and procedures.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves goals and generates suggestions for improving work.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently. Plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives. Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks. Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands and changes approach or method to best fit the situation. Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events. Develops workable implementation plans; communicates changes effectively.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent. Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; seeks increased responsibilities. Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards. Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines. Reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
If you would like to apply for this opportunity, submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have applied for this opportunity through other venues there is no need to reapply.
Koppert Biological Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf