Aphids have become a severe problem in the agricultural and horticultural sectors. As aphids are able to reproduce asexually and are notorious virus vectors, they have quickly become one of the most threatening greenhouse pests. For a long time, in crops where natural enemies had been released against other pests, aphids could be controlled effectively by means of selective chemical pesticides, with few adverse effects on biological controls. However, due to increased resistance to pesticides, biological control is becoming the preferred method of controlling these pests.
Overview of Aphid Plant Damage
Aphids excrete honeydew, which attracts mold. Mold not only spoils the crop, but reduces photosynthesis which can stunt growth and reproduction. Toxic substances can be transmitted into the plant.
As a result of their enormous reproductive capacity, aphid infestations develop rapidly. Koppert has developed multiple products to control aphids at all levels of infestation. Aphipar, Aphidius colemani, and Ervipar, Aphidius ervi, parasitic wasps are effective as preventative measures, as well as, controls in heavily infested areas. For extra support in heavily infested areas, Koppert produces several products for added control. These supplemental products are designed to work in conjunction with both Aphipar and Ervipar and allow for control in varying crops and climates.
Monitor Your Crop!
- Predatory wasp: Aphidoletes aphidimyza
- Target: various aphid species
- Packaging: each bottle contains black pupae mixed with wood fiber
- 100 ml bottle, hatches up to 1,000 gallmidges
- 100 ml bottle, hatches up to 2,000 gall-midges
- 500 ml bottle, hatches up to 10,000 gall-midges
- Predatory wasp: Chrysoperla carnea
- Target: Various aphid species
- Packaging: contain larvae (2nd stage) with buckwheat
- 500ml bottle, 1,000 larvae
- 6 liter buckets, 10,000 larvae
We're Here To Help
Beneficial insects are susceptible to chemical treatments and varying environmental and biological conditions. Contact your local Koppert consultant or visit our Contact page to discuss these solutions in more detail.
Additionally, visit our Side-Effects Database for compatibility of these solutions with chemicals.
- For additional information regarding introduction rates visit the product's web page or contact a Koppert consultant.
- Optimize scouting efforts with Koppert iPM, intelligent Pest Management. Learn more at www.koppertipm.com.